UPDATE: Damar Hamlin Speaking as Celebs Join the World in Offering Support
UPDATE 01/06/2023 10:45AM EST Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin is speaking with his breathing tube removed. That’s the joyful news
UPDATE 01/06/2023 10:45AM EST
Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin is speaking with his breathing tube removed. That’s the joyful news coming from the player’s hospital bed as the world awaits news on his condition.
Hamlin was able to speak with his teammates via FaceTime on Friday. The Bills released a statement which read in part, “He continues to progress remarkably in his recovery. His neurologic function remains intact and he has been able to talk to his family and care team.”
It’s the most extraordinary kind of update after Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest and underwent 9 minutes of CPR after Monday’s frightening collapse.
Upon waking from sedation, Hamlin’s first thoughts were of the Monday night game against the Cincinatti Bengals, and his team.
This is a developing story.
Original story continues below:
On Monday, Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field after tackling Cincinatti Bengals player Tee Higgins.
The 24-year-old’s collapse was so shocking and horrifying that it has prompted a heartbroken reaction from even people who have never heard Hamlin’s name before Monday.
The world has rallied to send love and support to Hamlin and his family as he continues to fight for his life in the hospital.
Celebrities have led the charge in offering condolences and well wishes, sharing a GoFundMe to a charity that Hamlin himself started – for a cause near and dear to his heart.
Here’s what celebs are saying as the world pulls together to hope for Hamlin’s recovery.
Celebs React to Damar Hamlin’s Collapse
When Hamlin made a tackle during Monday night’s game between the Bills and the Bengals, no one could have predicted what came next.
Hamlin stood up from the tackle, reached for his face mask, then collapsed backward onto the field.
Medics performed 9 minutes of CPR before he was rushed to the hospital for cardiac arrest.
Hamlin is still in critical condition in the ICU.
The world immediately reacted with an outpouring of shock – but also love and support.
Celebs joined the wave of good wishes headed Hamlin’s way, with every NFL team posting Hamlin’s #3 Jersey on their social media in support of the Bills safety.
These celebs had good vibes to offer:
- Singer Ciara wrote on social media “Praying for Hamlin. Jesus please let everything be ok.”
- Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson wrote, “Wow. I am praying for you [Hamlin]. Praying for health and safety.”
- Tom Brady shared, “We’re praying for Damar and his family this morning in Tampa. Moments like this put into perspective what it means to play this game we love. Thankful for our communities in Cincinnati and Buffalo for the overwhelming level of care and support I know they’ll continue to provide.”
- Tee Higgins, the Bengal receive that Hamlin tackled before he collapsed, simply said, “I’m praying that you pull through bro. Love.”
- “Scandal” star Kerry Washington wrote, “DamarHamlin you are in my prayers.”
- Even ’80’s rock star Bret Michaels shared his thoughts, writing, “My deepest thoughts & prayers are with #DamarHamlin, his family, friends & teammates.”
- LeBron James shared a video of Hamlin greeting his family on the field with the caption, “Praying for you kid!!!”
- Vivica A. Fox wrote, “PRAYERS UP! GOD BE WITH U DAMAR”
- Chad Michael Murray wrote on social media, “Please pray for Damar Hamlin and his family. Prayers up #BuffaloBills”
- LA Rams QB Baker Mayfield shared, “God be with Damar … Unbelievably sad…. Heart is extremely heavy right now. Prayers for @HamlinIsland his health and the Hamlin Family now. Life is too important. Cherish every moment.”
- News host Wolf Blitzer also wrote, “Prayers for Damar Hamlin of the @BuffaloBills.”
Many more stars also joined the chorus of love being sent to Hamlin. If the power of positive thinking heals, Hamlin should be turning for the better any moment.
The GoFundMe Damar Hamlin Started, and Why It’s Getting So Much Love
Although there’s nothing fans and worried onlookers can do to help Hamlin in his hospital bed, people wanted to do something to help.
Enter the 2020 GoFundMe that Hamlin himself started to help his Chasing M’s charity organization.
As of the publishing of this article, Hamlin’s fundraiser had raised nearly $6.7 million.
Created during the pandemic to help kids in need, Chasing M’s was near and dear to Hamlin’s heart.
When he created the GoFundMe link, Hamlin wrote, “As I embark on my journey to the NFL, I will never forget where I come from and I am committed to using my platform to positively impact the community that raised me. I created The Chasing M’s Foundation as a vehicle that will allow me to deliver that impact, and the first program is the 2020 Community Toy Drive. This campaign gives you the opportunity to contribute to our first initiative and positively impact children who have been hardest hit by the pandemic. 100% of the funds raised will go toward the purchase of toys for kids in need.”
On the link, the charity as described as providing “toy drives, back-to-school drives, kids camps, and more.”
Fans may feel helpless, but at least they know that when Hamlin wakes up, he’ll be given the most incredible news – news of love, charity, hope and community.