NH Hotel Group Opens Sustainable Five-Star Hotel in Copenhagen
NH Hotel Group is one of the largest hospitality groups in the world, with hotels in dozens of countries. Now,
NH Hotel Group is one of the largest hospitality groups in the world, with hotels in dozens of countries. Now, they’re taking their brand to Scandinavia and opening their first five-star hotel in Denmark: NH Collection Copenhagen. CELEB takes a look at the new hotel and what’s so unique about this newest NH family’s destination.
NH Collection Copenhagen
Situated in the Christianhavn district, the new Collection Copenhagen is a masterful capturing of the elegance of history with a focus on sustainability. Guests at the hotel are steps away from all the city has to offer, while nestled comfortably in their own secluded oasis in the heart of the city. The hotel boasts 394 rooms and suites, two restaurants, a bar, and a lounge area. If you’re on a work trip, there are 7 small and large scale meeting spaces, with breathtaking views of the harbor.
The building the hotel resides in now was once an administration building for the shipyard B&W, whose former berths guests overlook from their rooms. Built in 1962, renovating team ATP Ejendomme, Arkitema Architects and Henning Larsen Architects managed to preserve a good portion of the original building while fully updating it. The interior is a playful mix of contemporary and elegant, with wood paneling and thoughtful sculptures throughout.
The NH Collection Copenhagen team describe the hotel; “A warm, friendly, and eclectic mood is united with Scandinavian craftsmanship, using high-quality materials such as fabrics, wooden and brass details. The style is in warm shades with a Nordic expression, where attention is paid to details such as herringbone tiles, elegant colour play in the bathroom and specially designed furniture throughout the hotel. The rooms are decorated with large windows, which in addition to views, also provide a large and natural amount of light.”
At the end of the day if you’d rather stay on the hotel grounds and eat, choose from two restaurants including Tablafina, a delectable choice that, “combines the well-known Spanish tapas with local seasonal ingredients. Tablafina also has a wine bar with specially selected wines from the hotel’s own sommelier.”
NH Hotel Group’s Massive Hotel Family
The Copenhagen location is just the newest in a long line of excellent hotel destinations in the NH Hotel Group. Here are some of the most fascinating and bucket-list-worthy stops around the world on the NH Hotel Group tour:
- Tunisia: Anantara Sahara Tozeur Resort & Villas is located in Tozeur and offers all the luxury of an urban spa in the center of Tunisia’s captivating landscape. The rooms are airy and spacious, with large windows giving views of the desert beyond. Decor captures the oasis-in-the-desert vibes, and guests can enjoy a full-service spa or any of three outdoor pools. The Al Jerid Cultural Village sits just inside the resort entrance and allows guests a market-like experience to browse local wares.
- Ireland: Located in capital city Dublin, The Marker Hotel was recently purchased by the NH Hotel Group and will join its premier Anantara brand late next year. With upscale touches and an elegant, contemporary design, The Marker is the perfect new addition to the NH family, a jewel in the center of the Emerald Isle.
- Austria: In Salzburg, NH Salzburg City is the perfect urban getaway. With cozy rooms and a cool, funky, contemporary downtown vibe, this location sits in the center of everything worth visiting in Salzburg.
- Italy: NH has literally dozens of locations in this historic Mediterranean country. Two of the most fascinating are in Naples and Sienna. NH Napoli Panorama is a modern high-rise with unbeatable views of the ancient city. Rooms are spacious, with soothing white decor and generous windows. In Siena, NH Siena offers 129 rooms in a gorgeously renovated historic hotel. Whether you’re strolling through the soaring atrium or kicking back in the room with soothing white and blue decor, you’re sure to enjoy your stay. Guests are just a short walk from a number of historic sites and landmarks in the city.
- Spain: Another country with dozens of destinations to choose from, Spain’s NH Campo de Gibraltar gives guests quick access to Gibraltar, Algeciras, and nearby beaches in Tarifa. Stroll down to nearby tapas bars or cafes, or stay in and enjoy your home away from home in the modern hotel. Interior decor is cream and burgundy, and the exterior is a bold white stepped series of right angles. If you’re a fan of both the historic Gibraltar region and architecture, this is your destination of choice.
The hotel group also owns locations in Uruguay, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Andorra, Romania, Ecuador, Haiti, Qatar, the Czech Republic plus many more.
But if it’s Collection Copenhagen you have your eyes set on, you’re making a great choice. The city of Copenhagen was founded sometime between 1160-1167 by Archbishop Absalon Rig. The capital of Denmark, Copenhagen has a population of around 2 million people and is filled with historic structures and sites, making it a history-lover’s dream destination.
The very first king of Copenhagen was King Valdemar I, who ruled from 1154-1157 as Valdemar the Great. Due to its ties to the church, Copenhagen was from the beginning a hub of worship and culture, and the first church – St. Clemens Church – was built sometime between 1050-1100. Sometime between 1200-1400, the town went from a small sleepy urban hub to a booming city, its proximity to the harbor a boon in its growth.
Throughout the centuries, Copenhagen was witness to the rise and fall of dynasties and neighbors. It bore the birth of the Scandinavian alliance, and became a Lutheran nation during the Reformation. With a plethora of fortresses, old castles, and churches, the city embraces its roots even as it lurches into the future, a progressive and technologically-minded city with a heart bent on sustainability and eco-consciousness.
The city has withstood attacks, fires, plague, and somehow survived it all, history mostly intact. It’s the perfect place to visit, and NH Collection Copenhagen is exactly the kind of hotel that the city needs. To plan and book your stay, visit the website.