The Critics Choice Awards is a celebration of the greatest Hollywood movie and tv series have to offer over the last year. This year’s award ceremony is a return to what makes the CCAs so fun; a low-key, celebratory vibe known for thinking outside the box to pick winners. This years winners don’t contain any major upsets, but it’s a diverse and impressive array that proves Hollywood is branching out and growing as the years pass. Here’s a look at the big winners from this year’s Critics Choice Awards, and memorable moments you may have missed.
The Red Carpet at CCA
Before they could get to the night’s big winners, first celebrities had to walk the Red Carpet. Like every awards ceremony, the Critics Choice Awards is a who’s who of the young, the celebrated, and the beautiful. This year’s awards were no exception.
Here are some of our favorite looks from the evening:
- Lady Gaga: Gaga makes a splash wherever she goes, and red carpets are her fashion comfort zone. From the ostentatious to the truly bizarre, Gaga fashion never disappoints. This year’s CCA look is a result of her starring role in the House of Gucci movie; an elegant throwback to traditional Gucci fashion in gold silk and black lace.
- Venus and Serena Williams: The silver to Gaga’s gold, the superstar tennis sisters showed up in shimmering silver gowns. Venus wore a more revealing wrap-and-drape style silver gown with peekaboo skirt, while Serena’s floor-length simple gown shimmered from top to bottom.
- HoYeon Jung: The Squid Game star looked resplendent in a subdued golden gown with extended hip details.
- Elle Fanning: Fanning looked breathtaking in a tea-length backless princess gown with tulle underlay.
- Selena Gomez: Gomez looked characteristically elegant in a floor-length red gown with a simple halter-style neck that instead flowed into a long cape with extended train. A tear-drop cutout and diamond accent at the neckline gave the otherwise simple dress a pop of playful.
Other notes of look included host Nicole Byer’s structured Christian Siriano gown in vibrant pink, with a long train. Stars didn’t hold back as they explored the beautiful Spring fashion of 2022. Kristen Stewart, Halle Berry and more turned out to make the night’s looks spectacular beyond measure.
Critics Choice Awards Big Winners
Once the spectacle of the red carpet concluded and stars took their seats, it was time to get to the winners. “The Power of the Dog”‘s Jane Campion continued to make history as she won Best Director, and the award season’s winners continued to take top honors. Here’s a list of the winners from some of the biggest categories:
- Best Picture: “The Power of the Dog”
- Best Actor: Will Smith (“King Richard”)
- Best Actress: Jessica Chastain (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)
- Best Drama Series: “Succession” (HBO)
- Best Actor in a Drama Series: Lee Jung-jae (“Squid Game” – Netflix)
- Best Actress in a Drama Series: Melanie Lynskey (“Yellowjackets” – Showtime)
- Best Comedy Series: “Ted Lasso” (Apple TV+)
- Best Limited Series: “Mare of Easttown” (HBO)
- Best Foreign Language Series: “Squid Game” (Netflix)
- Best Comedy Series: “Licorice Pizza”
- Best Animated Series: “The Mitchells vs The Machines”
Many of the winners at the CCA ceremony reflect those celebrated at the SAG awards. Which means Hollywood is pretty set on which this year’s standout films and series are. It remains to be seen if the Oscars agree – with just two weeks to go.
Moments to Remember
An award ceremony is more than just red carpet and winners, there are a million little moments in between that define the evening and the people who attend. Here are some of the most memorable moments of the evening from the Critics Choice Awards 2022:
- Will Smith: Smith dedicated his win for Best Actor to Venus and Serena Williams, calling them inspirations and saying they defined the American dream. “You represent the best of what we all hope this world and this country can be.”
- Speaking of the Williams sisters, Serena took an opportunity to take a playful stab at her sister while the pair presented the winner for Best Drama Series. “I knew everyone loved me, but they love you too.”
- Billy Crystal: Crystal receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award, joking about forgetting things as the 74-year-old legend ages.
- Halle Berry: When receiving the SeeHer award – which recognizes women who push boundaries and blaze trails – Berry delivered a powerful speech celebrating women around the world. Berry’s speech included the thought-provoking promise, “We won’t always be pretty, and we will never be perfect. But we will be is always honest and true, no matter how uncomfortable that makes you.”
- Ukraine: Many stars spoke to the people of Ukraine, taking the moment in the sun to speak of the solemn moments in history unfolding in Eastern Europe.
With award season in full swing, the Critics Choice Award is one of those that occurs right at the peak in the run-up to the Oscars. Now that we have a good idea of who Hollywood has tapped as royalty for 2022, all eyes are on the Academy Awards.