Officials Under Donald Trump May Have Hidden Previous Spy Balloon Incursions from Fmr POTUS Fearing His Volatility
Ever since a Chinese balloon wandered into US air space last week, Donald Trump and others have boasted about how
Ever since a Chinese balloon wandered into US air space last week, Donald Trump and others have boasted about how they would have acted decisively to bring the vessel down.
According to Pentagon officials, it was recommended to President Joe Biden that they not shoot the vessel down over populated areas because of the very real risk of debris causing injuries or property damage.
Nonetheless, Trump et al ranted and raved about how they would have shot it down, blasting the Biden admin for their inaction.
Now, it has come to light that there may have been as many as three incidents under the Trump administration where similar Chinese balloons caused incursions into US air space briefly – and now the questions are: who knew what, who knew it when, and why wasn’t the President briefed?
Did Chinese Balloons Traverse US Air Space Under Donald Trump?
After the balloon – which Chinese officials claim was a civilian research vessel – was shot down, the Pentagon dropped a bomb of their own: this isn’t the first time this has happened.
According to Pentagon officials, it happened under Donald Trump as well – not once, not twice, but three times.
CNN writes, “The transiting of three suspected Chinese spy balloons over the continental US during the Trump administration was only discovered after President Joe Biden took office, a senior administration official told CNN on Sunday.
The official did not say how or when those incidents were discovered.
The official said that the intelligence community is prepared to offer briefings to key Trump administration officials about the Chinese surveillance program, which the Biden administration believes has been deployed in countries across five continents over the last several years.”
The incidents occurred over Florida, Texas and Hawaii under the administration of Donald Trump.
But several high-ranking Trump officials have come forward to say that they were unaware of these incidents, including former national security advisor John Bolton and others.
However, there has been some speculation that one person at least may have been aware, and chose not to disclose the incidents to Trump: former Secretary of Defense General James Mattis.
Did Officials Hide the Truth from Donald Trump?
Former DNI @JohnRatcliffe asks if the Pentagon purposely didn’t brief the Trump Administration on potential intrusions by spy balloons during his presidency.— Benny Johnson (@bennyjohnson) February 6, 2023
What did General Mattis know? pic.twitter.com/sp37XDT4wB
While several former Trump officials were quick to speak out about the Chinese spy balloons and deny any knowledge of previous incidents, one important voice has been utterly silent: Mattis.
What Mattis knew, when he knew it, and who he chose to loop in about the incidents could provide a monumental revelation about the dysfunction and distrust among officials under the Trump administration.
The idea that Mattis hid something from the former POTUS comes surprisingly not from Trump’s enemies, but from some of the most conservative members of his former cabinet, including former Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe.
Ratcliffe, who served under Donald Trump, was among the first one to question whether or not something was intentionally kept from the former POTUS due to his penchant for volatility.
And GOP Rep. Mike Waltz of Florida, who sits on the House Armed Services Committee, also spoke to