Drew Barrymore Loses Head Writers After Disastrous Strike Flub
Drew Barrymore has found herself without three head writers after she responded to the WGA strike with a major flub.
Drew Barrymore has found herself without three head writers after she responded to the WGA strike with a major flub. The charismatic actress received massive backlash last month after she initially decided to go ahead with filming her show in the heart of the Hollywood writer’s strike.
While Barrymore initially defended her decision to film, the heat eventually became too hot to handle. She relented, and her show was added to those on pause while the strike wrapped up. But the damage was done, and Barrymore has lost her head writers.
Drew Receives Backlash For Pushing Forward With Filming
View this post on Instagram
September 10th was the height of the Hollywood writer’s strike. WGA union members were pushing for more equitable pay structures. And allies of the unions were holding strong. That means that many television shows and movies that would have otherwise been in production were on pause. Directors and actors across the industry released statements of support for the striking writers. But Drew Barrymore apparently did not get the memo.
She initially defended her decision to start filming a new season of The Drew Barrymore Show starting on September 10th. At the time, Barrymore said on social media, “I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind.” She added, “We launched live in a global pandemic. Our show was built for sensitive times and has only functioned through what the real world is going through in real-time.” The backlash was immediate, with many people promising to boycott her show.
However, she later changed her mind and said that the show would be on hiatus due to the strikes. In an apology posted to her Instagram, a chastened Barrymore explained, “I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over. I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today.” She concluded, “We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”
Drew Barrymore Loses Head Writers After She Flubs Response To Strikes
The head writers of ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ are reportedly refusing to return after Barrymore’s attempt to resume the show during the WGA strike. pic.twitter.com/LzRgWmab4z
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) October 5, 2023
Unfortunately for Drew Barrymore, it appears that she did too little, too late. Three of her head writers are off to greener pastures following the disastrous strike response, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Three of the show‘s main writers, Chelsea White, Cristina Kinon, and Liz Koe, will not be returning for Season 4 of the show. On September 11, White said of Barrymore’s decision to forge ahead with filming, “It is a bummer to hear that the show is going back because it sends a message that union writers are not valuable.” The writer continued from the picket line, “I understand that everybody has to do what they feel is best for them. For me and the WGA writers on the show, it’s important for us to stick with our union. We deserve a fair contract, so we are here today outside.”
The show will return on October 16. Drew Barrymore has not yet responded to news that her main writers are leaving.