‘Home Alone’ For the Holidays? Famous Movie House is an Airbnb
The moment Kevin McAllister slapped some of his father’s aftershave on freshly shorn cheeks and gave his signature face-clapping scream,
The moment Kevin McAllister slapped some of his father’s aftershave on freshly shorn cheeks and gave his signature face-clapping scream, Home Alone became an icon. The holiday favorite has it all; a mischievous kid exploring the bounds of his skills, robbers getting the stuffing beaten out of them plus a giant spider. And it’s all wrapped up in a heartwarming story about family and togetherness.
If you’re like most of America, the sight of the Home Alone house fills you with nostalgia and anticipation. Now, you don’t have to just look at it from the outside and long; you can rent it.
Home Alone for the Holidays
Kids who grew up in the ’90s have an image in their head of what the perfect holiday home looks like. It probably has a tidy foyer, a long banister wrapped in garlands, and a lounge with a Christmas tree and a cardboard cutout of Michael Jordan. There may be traps and spiders and Macaulay Caulkin. Come again? Well, if you haven’t seen the movie yet you’re probably the only one, but we won’t spoil it too much.
If this is the dream in your head you have about what Christmas should look like, you can bring that dream to life. The home featured in the Home Alone movies is up for rent as an Airbnb. The rental company announced that the house would be up for rent – for one night only this month. NBC News writes, “‘Celebrate the season McCallister-style, ya filthy animals. For the first time ever, one crew of mischief makers can book a holiday in the timeless house where the Home Alone story began (without the interruption of pesky intruders),’ Airbnb wrote in a post to Instagram.
The home, located in the Chicago area, will be available to book starting on Dec. 7 for $25. Those who secure their stay at the home will be able to spend time there on Dec. 12.
Guests will be welcomed by actor Devin Ratray, who played Kevin McCallister’s older brother Buzz.”
But wait, there’s more! Guests will get treated to some of Chicago’s finest pizza and meet a real tarantula. Traps will festoon the home, but Airbnb reassures that there will be no criminals to fend off. They’re probably trying to make sure everyone feels safe, but it’s a bit of a letdown if you ask us.
Famous Homes for Movie Lovers to Rent
If you miss your chance at the Home Alone house, never fear; plenty of movie-famous homes are up for rent as Airbnbs. CELEB gathered some of our favorites to share:
- Twilight: Love them or hate them, the Twilight movies are some of the most beloved for a generation of Jacob and Edward lovers. Now you too can live out your dreams of being Bella Swan as she’s fought over by vampires and werewolves – sorry, shifters. The iconic cabin where Bella lived with her father is an Airbnb. Starting at just $379 a night right now, you too can peer longingly out the window and wait for Edward to stalk you through the night. Or wait for that alluring scent of wet dog to waft by. The house is pretty faithful to the movie set – not that we’d recognize it – so as you can imagine, it’s booked pretty far in advance. If you want to stay here, plan a year ahead.
- Harry Potter: It’s no Number Four, Privet Drive, but you can stay at Harry Potter’s childhood home. The house where Harry lived with parents James and Lily before, well, you know who showed up – it’s an Airbnb, and you can stay there. It may not look like much from the outside, but the home that served as Harry’s Godric’s Hollow childhood home is a five-star bed and breakfast. Rent a room starting at $248 a night and if you sleep with your wand out just in case You-Know-Who comes knocking, we won’t tell.
- Avengers: Spoiler alert – if you haven’t seen Avengers: Endgame, skip to Caddyshack. And then go watch the movie because you’ve had plenty of time. If you dream of living like Tony Stark – but humbler, more family-oriented Stark – you’re in luck. The cabin where Tony lives out his life with Pepper and their adorable child, and the heartbreaking wake is held after his death, is now up for rent as an Airbnb. We love this one 3000 and think you will too. The house is just outside of Atlanta and rates run $800 a night right now for the whole cabin.
- Caddyshack: This one’s technically a yacht and not a home, but we had to include because obviously – Caddyshack. The yacht from the movie, “Seafood,” is up for grabs for just $400 a na-na-na-na-night. The three-bedroom vessel was completely restored in 2017 and guests can enjoy the iconic boat, including the horn.
- Spice World: Another not-home, this one is out of this world. If you’re looking to spice up your life, the Spice World tour bus is the place for you. The actual bus from the 1997 hit movie has been remodeled inside to make it a plush, lush accommodation for true Spice Girls fans. You can book now for $259 a night.
More for the TV Lover
If you’re less a movie lover and more into TV shows, you aren’t left out. Plenty of TV-famous homes are up for rent as Airbnbs, and we brought a few of our favorites to share:
- Downton Abbey: A dream come true for lovers of the show, Highclere Castle was opened for a once-in-a-lifetime rental in November 2020. While it’s not currently up for rent, it’s likely that they’ll run the special again and give fans another chance to live out their fantasies.
- Fixer Upper: If you love all things shiplap and gray, you can thank Chip and Joanna Gaines for covering every house everywhere. You can rent out the house featured in the season 4 finale of the show and enjoy your farmhouse chic dreams in peace. It’s only $350 a night for the entire home.
- Cobra Kai: If you’re like us, the most exciting part of the Cobra Kai series was seeing a glimpse inside the Encino-area home of Daniel LaRusso. Except – record scratch – it’s actually located in Marietta, Georgia. It recently sold for $2.4 million and the new owner is turning it into an Airbnb – so any day now.
- Fresh Prince: In honor of the show’s 30th anniversary, last year guests were able to book a stay at the Bel-Air mansion, hosted by Will Smith the Fresh Prince himself. While there was no Auntie and Uncle included – and boy, is there some drama behind the family breakup – Smith hosted guests with all the luxury. Now, the show is on the eve of an exciting reboot.
- The Bachelor: If you’re looking to host 12 of your closest friends, this Mediterranean mansion from The Bachelor is perfect. But it’s not for the faint of wallet – be prepared to pony up $6,142 a night.
There’s something special about staying in a place your favorite movie and TV stars have been. You feel connected to them in a way other people can’t share or tarnish – and that might be worth the cost for a devoted fan. While a lot of these listings are rare opportunities that may or may not come again, others will be there waiting when you’re ready.