Unless you’re living under a rock at this point, you’ve likely heard that Kanye West has announced that he is running for President against Donald Trump in 2020.
Specifically, he took to social media to make his announcement, writing that “We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States! #2020VISION.”
Is Yeezy Even Serious?
While some were not sure if he was serious or not – with some guessing this could have been a PR ploy, especially given that he recently released a new single – as of yet he has not indicated this was a joke.
He also garnered immediate support from Elon Musk, and reports surfaced that Kanye’s wife Kim Kardashian was also in support of him running. To date, he has not indicated that this is a joke or PR stunt, so for now it seems he has to be taken (somewhat) seriously.
Initially, it was noted that Kanye had not filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission (FEC), but a new report yesterday claimed that two filings were made Monday. According to The Hill, these were made under the names “Ye West” and “Mr. Kenye Omari West” and listed The White House as the address. Due to the names not seeming accurate as well as the address is listed as The White House, the FEC claims that they are going to investigate whether the forms have “false or fictitious information.”
Kanye’s Presidential Run Is Not A Complete Shock…
Kanye West announcing that he was running for President wasn’t a complete shock. He has spoken of his political ambitions before. The timing, though, was a shock, as all signs pointed to Kanye potentially running for President in 2024. Also, Kanye had always seemed to support President Donald Trump.
That all changed this morning, as it’s now being reported by Forbes that Kanye is done with supporting Trump.
In the interview, Kanye specifically addressed being done with True, stating that that “I am taking the red hat off, with this interview.” He points to the fact that he didn’t like reports that Trump was hiding in his bunker, noting that “It looks like one big mess to me.”
What Else Is West Saying?
Kanye had a lot more to say in his interview with Forbes and here are some of the highlights:
- On wearing the MAGA (Make America Great Again) red hat that Trump supporters love to don: “One of the main reasons I wore the red hat as a protest to the segregation of votes in the Black community. Also, other than the fact that I like Trump hotels and the saxophones in the lobby.”
- On why he decided to run in 2020: “God just gave me the clarity and said it’s time. You know I was out there, ended up in the hospital, people were calling me crazy. I’m not crazy. Between all of the influences and the positions that we can be put in as musicians—you go on tour, you put out all these albums, and you look up and you don’t have any money in your account. It can drive you crazy, through all of that I was looking crazy because it wasn’t the time. Now it’s time. And we’re not going crazy, we’re going Yeezy, it’s a whole ‘notha level now. N-O-T-H-A.”
- On Joe Biden: “A lot of times just like political parties they feel all Blacks have to be Democrat. This man, Joe Biden, said if you don’t vote for me, then you are not Black. Well, act like we didn’t hear that? We act like we didn’t hear that man say that? That man said that. It’s a rap. We gonna walk, all the people. Jay-Z said it best. For the other candidates, I just gracefully suggest y’all bow out—Trump and Biden, gracefully bow out. It’s God’s country, we are doing everything in service to God, nobody but God no more. I am in service of our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ, and I put everything I get on the line to serve God.”
- On Police Killings: “One of my to-do lists is to end police brutality. The police are people too. To end laws that don’t make sense. Like, in the George Floyd case, there was a Black guy that went to jail and it was his first day on the force. So if it’s your first day on the force and it’s your training day, and this OG accredited cop with 18 violations already starts filing out, are you going to jump in front of that person and lose your job that same day? Especially in this climate when 40,000 people lost their jobs? This man was put in a position where—and also he probably didn’t realize that the cop was going to take it that far, he probably was so scared, in shock, paralyzed, like so many Black people. I’m one of the few Black people that would speak openly like this.”
Why Ye Is No Longer Supporting Trump…
Interestingly, although Kanye did initially explain (albeit vaguely) why he decided to no longer support Trump, he still had a number of positive things to say about Trump, including:
- “I would run as a Republican if Trump wasn’t there. I will run as an independent if Trump is there.”
- “Trump is the closest President we’ve had in years to allowing God to still be part of the conversation.”
- “One time I talked to Jared Kushner who was saying we don’t have Black leaders, we just have hustlers. Why? Because they killed all the Black leaders.”
- “I’m not saying Trump’s in my way, he may be a part of my way.”
- Also, in response to the claim that by him running he is “siphoning off Black votes” from Biden- which would help Trump- Kanye said “I’m not denying it, I just told you. To say that the Black vote is Democratic is a form of racism and white supremacy.”
Why We Need To Take This Seriously
The last two quotes of Kanye require us to pay close attention to them, as they drive home a very serious point that needs to be considered. Specifically, it seems that Kanye is only running for President in order to help Trump. This is abundantly clear with the fact that he claims “Trump may be a part of my way” plus does not deny whatsoever that him running could inevitably help Trump get reelected.
It is for this reason that Kanye running for President needs to be taken seriously. If people in America really want a change from the Trump administration- AKA Joe Biden to win the race- they need to do everything in their power to convince people not to vote for Kanye West.
Kayne West and Donald Trump have always had a very close relationship over the past four years, with Kayne being one of Trump’s most ardent celebrity supporters. Kim Kardashian also worked with the Trump administration to get some prisoners out of jail. She even recently visited The White House in March of this year to meet with Trump and some women whose prison sentences President Trump commuted.
It doesn’t really make complete sense that Kanye would suddenly, out of the blue turn on Trump simply for him “hiding in a bunker.” Critics of Trump can probably come up with a list of hundreds of other things they would deem that Trump has done that are much worse than hiding in a bunker.
Also, it is bizarre that Kanye wouldn’t be more critical of a running mate- likely his strongest contender to battle against- if he was really serious about getting elected. He should be coming hard for Trump, and trying to show us why he is the better candidate- but he simply isn’t doing that.
Trump Is Not Going Down Without A Fight
Trump has made it clear he is not going to go down without a very tough battle for a second term. In addition, Trump has always been very critical of anyone running against him. It seems interesting that he has yet to criticize Kanye whatsoever. It is for that reason it seems not completely implausible that Trump may actually support Kanye running in hopes that this will inevitably secure his position in The White House.
While many have been quick to laugh at what they deem as the ridiculosity of Kanye running for President, they really need to be paying much closer attention to his announcement and campaign. This could end up being a dealbreaker leading to Trump reigning America for four more years.