[Story developing]

Former Major League Baseball player David Segui is making a desperate plea to have his two minor children returned to him after they have been ordered by an Arizona court to attend the controversial Family Bridges reunification camp as part of an ongoing custody battle with their mother Donna Moniz.

The children have not been in school since January 5. Segui also alleges that court appointed “therapeutic interventionists” are colluding with the camp.

An Otherwise Peaceful Custody Arrangement Turned Bizarre and Bitter

David Segui

In an exclusive interview with Celeb Magazine, sources say the trouble began May 2015, when Moniz who was estranged from Segui, made shocking child abuse allegations against her ex-husband out of the blue. The children, who were living with Segui, were removed from his custody.

Segui claims there was no warning before police arrived to remove the children, and up until then the conversations between himself and his ex were normal and peaceful.

Segui recalled that he was shocked when police arrived, and the children hid and were scared over the thought of being taken from their father.

After going to court, custody was returned to Segui when the allegations were proven satisfactorily untrue. Testimony from the therapist Dr. Sara Petty, hired by Moniz, proved the allegations false. When the children were being interviewed by psychologists for the court battle, there were allegations made by the children against their mother, saying they were threatened by her and her twin sister and told to lie to Dr. Petty—which Segui claims were ignored by the state of Arizona.

After the State Ignored the Children’s Worrying Testimony, They Tried to Reunify Them With Their Mother

Even after this incident, the state of Arizona continued to award joint custody to Segui and Moniz, who were co-parenting harmoniously, with week-on, week-off transitions until 2017. There were multiple attempts at counseling to put the family back together.

In 2017, there was school incident of physical violence between one of the children and Moniz that resulted in a court order removing the children from her.

After that, the children were thriving under Segui’s custody, and Moniz had been under investigation by the state for abuse—all attempts by Moniz to gain custody and visitation have been denied outright even though the claims of abuse were deemed unsubstantiated.

A Video of the Children Discussing their Mother in an Interview Raises Red Flags

In a video from 2018 claims of physical and sexual abuse are alleged by the children during an appointment with a therapist. Despite all of this, Segui says reunification efforts continued by the courts and most recently a hearing on December 22, 2020 established that another attempt would be made to do so.

Segui is Told to Bring Children to Family Bridges

However, at the end of December, Segui brought his children with him to Kansas City to visit family for the holidays. While in Kansas City, Segui received notice that someone was trying to serve him. The court order demanded an immediate transfer of custody from father to mother on January 6, 2021 for the children to participate in the Family Bridges Reunification camp. Segui alleges that the best interest attorney, appointed to represent the children who wrote up the emergency order, stated that the boys are in “immanent danger in the father’s custody”—even though this attorney has never spoken to the children or the father. [A month prior the same judge signed an order saying there was no alienation.] In order to comply with the court’s ruling, Segui would have to transfer custody and all decision making for a total of 95 days. Segui was also told not to inform the children, who lived in fear of being turned over to their mom’s custody.

On January 6, Segui was going to deliver the children as ordered but they flew into a panic at the thought of being turned over to their mother, which resulted in them being admitted to Phoenix Children’s Hospital.

The children were taken to a hospital for a week before being transferred into the care of the Family Bridges reunification camp. Despite Segui’s efforts to stay abreast of his children’s whereabouts, he has been stonewalled at every turn.

‘Reunification Camps’ are Considered Controversial

David Segui

The Family Bridges reunification camp model has raised eyebrows in the past. Questions about the model were documented in a Washington Post article. Washington Post explains, “Opponents charge that the reunification programs, and accusations of parental alienation itself, are shams—a way for lawyers, psychologists and social workers to profit from parents in bitter custody battles, and for the more financially secure parent to gain a custodial advantage. Proponents say that parental alienation involves truly harmful psychological behaviors that should be recognized by the therapeutic community and tort law, and that reunification programs are sometimes the only way to put families back together.” According to sources, the camp has no license and is operated with no state oversight. They also have no facility and “hotel hop.”

Segui also alleges that the court appointed “Therapeutic Interventionist” has a personal interest in the Family Bridges camp and that there is collusion on the part of Moniz and these representatives to “brainwash” the children.Celeb Magazine reached out to Moniz attorneys for comment but as of publication has not received a response.

Where are Segui’s Children, and What’s Going to Happen?

As of January 22, Segui believes that the children are now in the custody of their mother again, although no notice has been given as to how he can regain his children after a supposed camp “aftercare” period.

Segui alleges that his ex-wife displayed narcissistic and abusive behaviors during their relationship. Well-documented incidents support his allegations that his ex-wife may not be the safest place for his children to be, but so far the county investigators and his ex-wife’s attorneys have been unhelpful in the father’s efforts to see his kids again.

READ MORE:
Tiger Woods Documentary Part 2 Details Golf Superstar’s Implosion
Becky Hammon: First Woman to Coach In the NBA
Bill Belichick on Presidential Medal of Freedom: No Thanks!

• Alex Pener, January 27, 2021 @ 9:09 pm Reply

Let the kids be kids. The better option is clear and this is the wrong one.

• Kyle, January 27, 2021 @ 10:17 pm Reply

WTF!? Give his kids back

• Shai Segui, February 9, 2021 @ 10:27 am Reply

They Didn’t listen to a single thing I said Dr. Rand said that I’m a liar and none of the abuse happened and got pissed off any time I brought it up. I went outside and was talking with the Therapeutic Interventionist and I told her how are you going to send me and my brother back to her when she abused us and she told me that I need both parents in my life and I said no she physically and sexually abused me and I’ve been doing perfectly fine with my dad staying out of trouble unlike when I was living with her. She also tells me that my brother Brock needs to have both parents and saying it’s harder for him since he stopped living with her when he was only 8 and maybe he misses her. She blatantly ignores the fact that me and brock were abused by her and want nothing to do with her. Once we walked back in and said were not going through with the Program they had my mom contact multiple wilderness camps for kids with behavioral issues and they were three months long and me and my brother were going to be split up. While all of this was happening he read me the report and it stated that since my dad didn’t coerce us to go back to my mom. Coerce which means persuading an unwilling person to do something by force or threats.I told him so my dad was supposed to send us back with my mom when we don’t feel safe around her and he said yes. Since I didn’t want to be split up from my brother so I just said ok I’ll just bull shit the program and go through with it because I don’t want be separated from my little brother. Once we got home and were living with my mom me and her get into an argument and she punched me in the face. I waited till everything was quiet and ran I heard cop cars so I hid in pushes for a while than knocked on someone’s door and told them what happened. They called the cops and I told them what happened they put me in the cop car so I can give them directions to the place we were staying at. When they interview my mom she lies and said she didn’t hit me the cop comes out said he thinks me and my brother were wrestling a couple of days before that and that’s why I have a bruise on my face. The cop contacted Child Protective Services and told me that my mom will call them to come interview us and they never did and instead the Therapeutic interventionist comes over and has a family meeting. I acted like I was asleep and she tells my brother I’m having a tough time adjusting and that he should stay with me and make sure I’m ok instead of him going to my mom’s sisters house. When I “wake up” I start arguing with her and my aunt who’s saying everything was so amazing what happened and Van heil chirps in saying looked like you guys were so happy and I told her no it was all an act so I don’t get separated from my brother and told her I want to go back to my dad and she told me I can’t. My mom has her friend come upstairs and tell us your mom is leaving at 1:30 for a court hearing and If you don’t have a family meeting with her their going to separate you and your brother for 3 months and the 90 days will restart. So we have the meeting my mom tells me I violated the court order because I ran off and wasn’t in eyesight of an adult. She than asks me and my brother if were going to listen and respect her and we tell her no so she says I need to leave we can finish this later. Like 4 days later I look up family Bridges and start reading about other peoples cases and tell her I looked it up and I don’t trust it’s going to be 90 days all these cases it’s been more and that Dr. Rand said that he makes these changes permanent and she says our case is different you will see your dad in 90 days. We keep arguing with her so she has her fiancee and her friend over and than she says she needs our phones to see what we looked up and we weren’t allowed to search anything up. We haven’t had our phones since. My brother was looking up my dad and came across this. I will probably get in trouble for this but I don’t care anymore I’m not going to be silenced by the court any longer even though this violates the 90 day order and people need to know what goes on in these reunification camps.

• Bridget Mollohan, February 11, 2021 @ 8:15 pm Reply

I’m so sorry you’re going through this and hope it will end soon for you. What’s happened to you and so many other children going through this is so wrong. Thank you for speaking up.

• Reunification Shams, February 12, 2021 @ 9:48 am Reply

Stay strong. Stay focused. Stay busy. Join all the clubs and sports you can at school. Your memories are yours. Remember the family meetings are supposed to allow you to also have a voice. Number 6 rule of the family meeting is…NO ONE IS FORCED TO ATTEND. They just broke their own family meeting rules. Remember they are going to tell you your dad is not doing the work. But the work is something that is almost impossible to complete. Randy has even said the point is to keep the parent away until they are adults. We hear your voice!!

• Susan Naylor, February 9, 2021 @ 9:10 pm Reply

My heart is just breaking for these boys… I have been through the courts personally where abuse so blatant has been shown and the judge still gave custody. Just one more chance !!! Why?? It’s so wrong…… so unfair. The boys will never forget. They will always be damaged just like my children and myself. God help them please.

• Doreen Ludwig, February 11, 2021 @ 2:08 pm Reply

I write about this in my new book “AFCC net: People, Policy, Practices that Intrude in Child Custody Determinations” (available on Amazon) Doreen Ludwig. “Experiential therapy applied in Family Bridges uses role-play, props, animals, imagery, and other interactive events to make the child re-live their relationship with the disliked parent. The theory claims re-experiencing permits a release of negative emotions, so that the child can love, forgive and feel calm with the past-abusing parent. The premise is: perception determines behavior. The goal of this type of re-programming is to change the child’s perception of their parent.
    Experiential therapy is the mainstay of custody awards to a maltreating, non-historical parent. By altering a child’s “experience” the court is able to rework allegiance. Difficult cases require a cut-off of contact, or severely limited contact, with the primary caregiving parent. In real time, children are forced to cope and “put up with” whatever situation exists in the home of the non-traditional parent.

• Lia, February 13, 2021 @ 1:33 am Reply

My children were forced into Family Bridges. It is a sham that profits from terrorizing children. The leader, Randy Rand is unlicensed due to a number of court cases revealing the true nature of his actions. The outcome of Family Bridges for my children is an increased awareness of the depravity that some will reach for their own selfish desires of money and egotistical power. As adults, my children refuse to have a relationship with the parent who forced them into Family Bridges. Manipulation, coercion, threats, and abuse are tools that destroy relationships, not build them. That’s why Family Bridges is unsuccessful and damaging. My children learned how to play the system in order to get through it, because Family Bridges told them they would never see me again, and that they or I would be jailed if they didn’t cooperate. Family Bridges needs to be shut down for many reasons. Family Bridges charges an exorbitant amount of money for their “program”; which probably provides tax money for their areas of operation. I hope that doesn’t play into the reason that they are still in operation. They work out of hotel rooms, and try to alienate children from the parent that the children find safe. Family Bridges uses the very tactics that they claim they are fighting.

• Shai Segui, February 23, 2021 @ 11:20 am Reply

What am I supposed to do I can’t tolerate her any longer.

• Reunification Shams, February 25, 2021 @ 2:18 pm Reply

Shai stay busy. Focus on baseball or whatever sport your in. Clean your room, do your homework, do not give them anything that could be used to cause an argument. Tell your teachers, even though they will be told your lying. Keep reporting.

• Shai Segui, February 23, 2021 @ 11:25 am Reply

Can you people please share this Article to help us.

• Reunification Shams, February 25, 2021 @ 2:19 pm Reply

Remember your family is fighting for you. Keep praying Ellwood.