Denied: Prince Harry Can’t Pay to Protect Himself in the UK, Judge Rules

A London judge has rejected a bid from Prince Harry that would allow the royal to pay for his own

Prince Harry can't pay to protect himself in the UK, judge rules

A London judge has rejected a bid from Prince Harry that would allow the royal to pay for his own police protection while visiting the UK.

When Prince Harry, youngest son of current reigning monarch King Charles III, and his American wife Meghan Markle decided to step back from royal duties, the UK government ceased to pay for their protection.

The government now will also not let Harry pay for his own protection.

AP News reports, “A lawyer for the government argued in court that it was not appropriate to allow hiring ‘police officers as private bodyguards for the wealthy.’

Justice Martin Chamberlain said there was nothing ‘incoherent or illogical’ in the government’s reasoning to deny the Duke of Sussex’s request to hire police bodyguards at his own expense. He said providing private protection for an individual was different from paying police as security at sporting and other events.

Further, he said it could strain police resources, set a precedent and be seen as unfair.

‘If privately funded protective security were permitted, a less wealthy individual would feel unfairly treated, the availability of a limited specialist resource would be reduced and a precedent would have been set which it would be difficult to contain,’ Chamberlain wrote.”

The entire case came about after aggressive paparazzi chased Harry in 2021, and he says he has not felt comfortable bringing his children to his home country for a visit ever since.

The judge considered Harry’s bid last week, the same day that Harry and Meghan were allegedly chased in a car in New York City by aggressive paparazzi.

But there’s one positive to come from this judgement for Harry and Meghan.

The judge opened the door for Harry to challenge the UK government’s decision to refuse to pay for his protection.

AP adds, “The prince has four other active legal cases in London courts, all of them against British tabloid publishers over allegations of phone hacking or libel.

Harry is due to testify next month in an ongoing trial against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over allegations it used illegal means to gather material for dozens of articles about the duke, dating back as far as the 1990s.

Judges are currently weighing whether two other phone hacking cases can go to trial against the publishers of the Daily Mail and The Sun.

Lawyers for the newspapers have argued the claims were brought well beyond a six-year time limit. Harry’s lawyer has argued that an exception should be granted because the publishers were deceptive about the hacking and other unlawful information gathering so he couldn’t discover it soon enough.

A judge is also considering whether to toss out Harry’s libel lawsuit against the Mail on Sunday over an article alleging he tried to hush up his challenge to pay for police security.”

Harry’s fight with the media is nothing new. Ever since Harry and William’s mom, Princess Diana, was killed in a car chase caused by aggressive paparazzi, it has seemed like the younger royal was on a collision course with the press.

Even as the British royals in London continue to shake hands with the tabloid and seem content to let them control the flow of public information, Harry and Meghan have dug in their heels and continue to try to press for a safer, more honest approach to covering the royal family.

Share: 
Tags: