The Commodore Perry Estate Brings ‘Austin Weird’ into the Realm of Urban Chic
The Commodore Perry Estate feels like a rural getaway on a grand estate, but in the center of a bustling
The Commodore Perry Estate feels like a rural getaway on a grand estate, but in the center of a bustling city.
And there's a reason for that. When it was first designed in the early 1900's, it was supposed to be a retreat from urban hustle and bustle – and that feel of elegance situated in room to explore has been embraced in the newest iteration of the estate hotel. With Fall here, it's the perfect time to check out the Commodore Perry and take advantage of its warm southern location in Austin, Texas.
The Commodore Perry, Where You’ll Find “A Bold Design with a Sense of Curiosity”
When staying at the Commodore, guests have their pick from two choices:
- The Mansion: Each of the five bedroom suites in the original estate home offer the mansion's original style with all the comfort of 2022. A sprawling 10K square foot stately mansion, it provides unique suites with a private concierge experience.
- The Inn: The newly build Inn provides 42 rooms and 7 terrace suites, in a beautiful shaded courtyard setting. Pieces decorating the inn include those sourced from Top Antiques Fair, with guest rooms and amenities envisioned by celebrated designer Ken Fulk. It's mid-century Italian mixed with Spanish pieces from the 1920's, in a meeting of vintage and art.
Whether you're lounging in the Mansion's living room or strolling down columned walkways, there are places everywhere for a peaceful sit down and breathtaking views wherever you turn.
A Perfect Place to Escape the Texas Heat
Fall is just weeks away, and it's time to consider where best to spend your autumn leisure time.
These four events are the perfect places to enjoy the Fall, per the Commodore's website:
- "Taste of Auberge: Saison at Commodore Perry will bring the team from San Francisco’s two Michelin-starred Saison in to lead various experiences such as a fire cooking workshop and an intimate coursed dinner in Commodore Perry Estate, Auberge Resorts Collection’s gardens on November 4 and 5, 2022."
- Game Day: "Minutes down the road from Darrell K Royal with the sounds of the stadium within earshot, we’re here to be your homebase before and after the Longhorns play all football season long. Kick off the festivities every Friday on home game weekends with visiting designer pop up shops, interactive wine tasting events and guest bartending talent from local favorites and beyond, with musical performances from local Austin musicians. Wake up and gather with friends and family on game day for our delicious Saturday brunch at the Mansion, complete with lawn games and pre-game drink specials, such as mimosa bars, shaken carajillos, local beer buckets and more." Dates run September 2 through November 26.
- Trovador Custom Hat Experience: "No trip to Austin is truly complete without acquiring a Trovador Custom Hat handmade by local hatmaker, Ryan McGrath. We’re giving our guests and members the exclusive opportunity to enjoy a two-hour private session designing a custom hat from Trovador. You’ll be chauffeured in the Commodore Perry Estate Mercedes to the Trovador studio where you’ll have the entire studio to yourself. Take a seat with Ryan as he works with you to custom size, shape, fit and design your hat. Peruse the shop to select trims, custom bands and finishings while sipping a craft cocktail or glass of wine. Trovador’s six stage process to create your one-of-a-kind custom hat takes a few weeks to finish and will be shipped directly to your house in its custom Trovador Hat box." Experience pricing starts at $2,000.
- Botanical Drawing: "Join us in Lutie's Garden Restaurant for a delicious cup of coffee before taking a brief tour of the Estate Gardens where you'll meet with our talented landscaping director, Megan Lappe, to explore her favorite local plants that flourish around the Estate. After gathering clippings of Native Texan plants found on the grounds, create your own botanical drawing as local artist Jonathan Maurel teaches of pencil sketching and inking using fundamental techniques like shading, cross hatching and inking during an hour long class." This event is available every other Friday at 9AM.
On site for the hotel are breathtakingly manicured gardens spread over 10 lush acres, Lutie's Garden Restaurant, as well as a pool, golf and wellness initiatives for the fitness-and-fun-minded.
The History of Commodore Perry
And it all first came to be in 1928. Commissioned to be built by Edgar "Commodore" Perry and his wife Lutie, the Commodore was designed to be an urban retreat with enough rural space to make it feel remote, while being close to the city.
Perry spent most of his career in Europe, so when it came time to build his dream estate, he wanted to build in an Italian Rennaissance Revival style.
In an ode to the finest traditions, Perry envisioned himself and his wife throwing grand Jazz parties in the garden, strolling through the gardens, and escaping to one of a million cozy nooks and crannies throughout the mansion to recline with a good book.
The Commodore's breathtaking grounds, elegant interior and stately vibe make it a Europe lite escape in the most unexpected place.