Now that pandemic shutdowns are mostly a thing of the past, people are eager to get back out into the world. And the safest way to do so, with the virus still lurking, is to have your own private rental at the destination of your choice. Across the country, vacation rentals are booming. In Palm Springs, California, the boom has encouraged a wide variety of rentals to enter the market. This allows travelers to pick something that fits their tastes, however, unique and eclectic those tastes may be.
Vacation Rental Boom
Now that people can more freely move around the country, and vaccination rates are rising, everyone is scrambling to snatch up the best vacation rentals. People prize space and privacy more than ever as a result of the pandemic, so sites like VRBO and AirBnB are really having a moment. The industry boom is no joke. Vacation rental market size valuation is predicted to rise to a whopping $113.9 billion by 2027, per Grand View Research.
This sudden boom is of course good for landlords who barely have to try to draw customers in. But it’s also good for renters who now have a wide variety of options to choose from. Instead of the standard fare of condos and houses that look copied and pasted from one another, some are quite individual and unique.
The Greater Palm Springs area in California is seeing some of the best of the boom, in both long- and short-term rentals. The area offers more than 8,000 vacation rentals from a variety of local companies to help meet that demand including Acme House, Natural Retreats, Vacation Palm Springs by Vacasa, and more.
Unique Offerings in Palm Springs, California
As the saying goes, there’s someone for everyone. And there’s a vibe for everyone too. With people putting their own individual properties up on sites like VRBO and AirBnB, people with more off-the-beaten-path tastes have a better chance to find something that strikes their fancy. Here’s a non-exhaustive list of some of the most intriguing rentals in the Palm Springs area:
- Colony 29: This stunning property boasts glass-wall buildings and was once the home of an artist’s retreat built in the 1920’s. It’s been restored and covers 6 acres. 6 unique Spanish villas sprawl across the property and you can rent one or all. One unique feature is the oversized “adult” tree-house, set among the numerous gardens and lush grounds.
- Skyfall: This cliffside abode is sleek and sensual and boasts 180-degree Valley views. With a James Bond themed interior, it feels like you’ve been transported back to the sexy ’60’s and you can live your best spy fantasies suspended above the valley below.
- Villa Serano: A little farther afield in India, CA, this Greater Palm Springs property offers a little more than your average rental. Horses frolick on the lush lawn with a stunning stable for renters to partake in and every amenity you could wish for.
- Villa Carmelita: This 1930’s restoration was once a love nest for Sonny and Cher, and has hosted a variety of Hollywood A-listers.
- Grand Tipi @ Camp Temenos: This is a truly transformative outdoor retreat. It’s exactly what it sounds like; a large teepee set among the rolling hills and brush of the Palm Springs desert.
- Sputnik House: This Acme rental property is inspired by Mid-Modern space travel and the interior matches the promise. With mod-futuristic touches throughout, you’ll think you were transported to a colony on Mars; complete with all the modern conveniences of Earth and stunning mountain views, of course.
Celebrity Homes for Rent
And if you’re looking for something with a little bit more clout, former celebrity homes are a booming business for vacation rentals in the area as well. Here are some of the former abodes of the super-famous that you can call home – for a few days or weeks, anyway:
- Frank Sinatra Twin Palms Estate: The former owner of this estate is exactly who you’d guess, and the property boasts a piano-shaped pool, and original-but-restored historical interior.
- Merve Griffin Estate: Another rental with a name that’s a bit on the nose, this property is a truly breathtaking recall to the glory days of Hollywood. It boasts enough sleeping spaces for 26 guests, and an infinity pool overlooking a private lake. The MGE is a popular wedding venue, which can serve up to 1,000 people. It includes cabanas, fruit orchards, stables and an event space.
And these aren’t former celebrity homes, but they’re stars in their own rights. The Kempa Villa property is a jaw-dropping, 9,000-square-foot spread of resort style estate houses that can sleep 14 guests. Included on the property is and expansive villa, bungalow rooms and a casita. You can even arrange for your own private wait staff, feeling like a celebrity while you relax.
A visit to Villa Sierra starts with its iconic and Insta-worthy pink door, and has floor-to-ceiling glass walls across much of the property, blending indoor and outdoor living. Villa Sierra sleeps 8 and gives you unrivaled views of the surrounding mountains.
Whether your family and friends are looking to size up, size down, get away from it all or hole up in the middle of town, the Palm Springs area will have something to fit your tastes. Visit the Greater Palm Springs vacation rental hub to find your home away from home and book your stay.