Weekend Getaway: Chi-town’s Peninsula is ‘Far Eastern Graciousness’ Meets ‘Midwestern Hospitality’
In the heart of Chicago sits a hotel known as The Peninsula. It belongs to a hotel family known for
In the heart of Chicago sits a hotel known as The Peninsula. It belongs to a hotel family known for luxury, class, amenities, comfort and service; and The Peninsula Chicago lives up to all of that and more. Situated close to Chicago Harbor, the hotel provides beautiful views of the city; but it’s the hotel your eyes will be glued to. Inside and out, this property embraces simplicity and elegance to blend “Far-Eastern graciousness” with the allure of “Midwestern hospitality,” as the website promises. If you’re looking for a quick weekend retreat but either can’t leave the city or want somewhere close to the airport if you’re flying into Chicago – you’re in luck. The Peninsula Hotel is close to everything worth seeing.
The Peninsula Rooms are Modern and Luxurious
View this post on Instagram
When you approach The Peninsula Chicago, it’s easy to be awed by the splendor of the building itself. It has a very 5th Avenue NYC vibe; elegant and opulent. The entire vibe of The Peninsula is blending the art of gracious customer service and care that comes from Asian hospitality with the warmth and openness of the Midwest.
And that masterful blend is reflected throughout the accommodations. Guests can choose from a variety of room and suite options:
- Superior and Deluxe Rooms: These run from 531-556sqft and offer world-class comfort with a picture window to take in the view and a small seating area to kick your feet up after exploring Chicago all day.
- Grand: These rooms include the Grand Deluxe, Grand Premier King and Grand Premier Double. Ranging from 531-701 sqft, each room offers the basic amenities of the Superior and Deluxe rooms with a few extra ugprades. The Grand King and Grand Premier Double both offer full-sized seating areas.
- The hotel offers 4 standard (well, not so standard) luxury suites and 4 named suites. The Executive, Grand Deluxe, Deluxe and Premiere Deluxe suites all offer the comfort of their room counterparts with the addition of a full living space.
- The named suites include Magnoloa, Lake, Water Tower and the aptly named Peninsula Suite. Each of the named suites offers luxurious separate living, dining and sleeping spaces with anywhere from 2,500sqft all the way up to 3,600 in the Peninsula Suite.
- Each room embraces a simple, soothing palette in whites, creams, and royal blue. Dark wood accents and abundant natural lighting make each space in the hotel feel luxurious and elegant, while being spacious and comfortable.
Inside and Out: Amenities
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Peninsula property without abundant amenities as well. The Peninsula Chicago offers two dining options as well as two bar/lounge areas for guests to take in the view and sip some craft cocktails.
- Pierrot Gourmet: A European Cafe and Wine Bar sits right on street level, giving guests a chance to breathe in that Chicago vibe. Watch the city buzz as you sample European delights and pick a perfectly paired wine.
- Z Bar: Perched above Michigan Avenue, Z Bar offers hand-crafted cocktails and cuisine that embraces global flavor. Live music, entertainment and a carefully-curated art and design palette make this a singular spot in Chicago to gaze out over the skyline. Z Bar was honored in Forbes Travel Guide Verified List of World’s Best Hotel Bars for 2019.
- Shanghai Terrace: A blend of Cantonese and the unique flavors of Shanghai cuisine, Shanghai Terrace was voted #1 in Chinese Restaurant in Chicago” by Zagat Survey. Set in a 1930’s club lounge atmosphere, guests can enjoy the classic vibe inside or sit on the Terrace and take in the views.
- The Lobby: It sounds simple but the grand dining experience at the Peninsula Chicago borders on opulent without being pretentious. Serving contemporary American cuisine, guests can enjoy all-day dining under beautiful architectural 20-foot ceilings.
And while at Peninsula, guests can take advantage of a variety of spa and wellness programs in a number of traditions, as well as an indoor pool that comes with a view.
For more information or to plan and book your stay at The Peninsula Chicago, visit the website.
Once you’re all checked in and ready to explore, the variety in Chicago is endless. Whether you’re there to visit the Museum of Science and History, Lincoln Park Zoo, Buckingham Fountain, the Art Institute of Chicago, Millenium Park and the famous Cloud Gate or just sight-see and discover what strikes your fancy, the city is a rich cultural hub with dining and delight at its heart.
And The Peninsula is perfectly placed for those with shopping on their mind to take advantage, as the hotel concierge team points out; “Also referred to as the Magnificent Mile, Michigan Avenue’s shopping district is a one mile area of tree-lined streets, from the Chicago River North to Oak Street. The Magnificent Mile covers 3.1 million square feet of retail, two unique museums and the historic Chicago Water Tower.”
Known as “The Windy City,” Chicago has a history of being a place where cuisine is born, dreams are conceived of, and the weather can be a bit extreme. Whether you’re looking for an icy Winter getaway or a warm Spring stroll, The Peninsula Hotel in Chicago is the perfect place for that quick Weekend Getaway.